Black Friday sales, cyber Monday specials, trim the tree, decorate the house, and the list goes on and on and on. ‘Tis the season, right? I love all of this and I imagine you do too. It can be a lot of fun, but there’s also a fair amount of stress that comes with it. The origin of that stress is trying to create the “perfect” Christmas experience…the perfect gift, the perfect house, the perfect party…. And with that ambition to create perfection, things go awry and feelings get hurt. It is never the intention, but it happens.
Maybe we need to take a minute, breathe and remember what is really important.
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
This is the greatest AND most perfect gift to the world! Jesus, God’s Christmas gift to us. Think about this: Jesus is our tangible expression of God’s love and sacrifice; a true, everlasting gift. He gave of himself in all circumstances. His gifts were priceless.
• He gave compassion to those who were suffering.
• He listened attentively to those around Him and showed them they were valued and known.
• He celebrated life and gave the gift of joy and laughter.
• He gave unconditional love despite a person’s quirks and sin.
• He gave the gift of loyal friendship.
• He gave the gift of caring confrontation. He spoke truth in love to others.
• He gave the gift of grace and forgiveness.
Perhaps this could be our guide to gift giving this year?
We all have a need for love and acceptance; it is a universal human need.. With the commercialism of Christmas it’s easy to forget what is really important. So in these very busy times when nerves tend to be frayed and the pressure of perfection wants to reign, may we be reminded to give the best gifts to the people we love; the gifts that flow from God’s heart of love for us. They are timeless and everlasting.
His gifts never go out of style (and it could save us a boatload of money! )!